Russia continues to dominate the 2021 World Team Trophy in Osaka, Japan on Friday. Following a first place in the pairs’ short program earlier, ice dancers Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov earned their country a fourth of five available twelve points so far.
After a top score in the rhythm dance yesterday, 2021 World champions Sinitsina and Katsalapov delivered another victory-worthy performance in the free dance. Quality skating, effortless lifts, and amazing choreography earned the overall winners of the ice dance discipline a segment score of 130.15 points.
Three-time Italian national champions Charlene Guignard and Marco Fabbri were second in the rhythm dance and collected another important eleven points for Italy in the free dance. Skating to Atonement by Dario Marianelli, the longtime couple displayed wonderful twizzles, great quality, and captivating expressions. They earned a personal best segment score of 124.75 points.
U.S. national bronze medalists for the last three years Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker presented their free dance to music by Philip Glass. The Americans did their best to keep close to the Russians, earning 110.16 points for their performance and ten points for the United States in the overall standings.
Comfortably in fourth place in the rhythm dance event, reigning French national champions Adelina Galyavieva and Louis Tauron presented their free dance to music from the film Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. Their great performance received 106.58 points.
Members of the Japanese 2019 World Team Trophy silver medal-winning squad, three-time national champions Misato Komatsubara and Tim Koleto performed their free dance routine to Une histoire d’amour by Mireille Mathieu. The married couple received a personal best score of 100.82 points from the judges and earned Japan eight points – enough to stay third in the overall team standings.
Sixth in yesterday’s rhythm dance, Canadian representatives Carolane Soucisse and Shane Firus skated to music by Tom Jones. The couple earned a score of 97.86 points for the free dance.
Free dance results:
- Victoria Sinitsina & Nikita Katsalapov (Russia) – 130.15 (12 points)
- Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri (Italy) – 124.75 (11 points)
- Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker (United States) – 110.16 (10 points)
- Adelina Galyavieva & Louis Tauron (France) – 106.58 (9 points)
- Misato Komatsubara & Tim Koleto (Japan) – 100.82 (8 points)
- Carolane Soucisse & Shane Firus (Canada) – 97.86 (7 points)
Overall ice dance results:
- Victoria Sinitsina & Nikita Katsalapov (Russia) – 216.81 (24 points)
- Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri (Italy) – 207.68 (22 points)
- Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker (United States) – 186.95 (20 points)
- Adelina Galyavieva & Louis Tauron (France) – 176.92 (18 points)
- Misato Komatsubara & Tim Koleto (Japan) – 167.24 (16 points)
- Carolane Soucisse & Shane Firus (Canada) – 162.92 (14 points)
Team standings after 5 of 8 events:
- Russia – 73
- United States – 66
- Japan – 60
- Italy – 47
- France – 43
- Canada – 37