This weekend, 15-year-old Russian figure skater Maiia Khromykh made her international senior competition debut at the 2021 Budapest Trophy and captured the gold medal over reigning World champion Anna Shcherbakova and former European champion Sofia Samodurova.
Second after the short program, Khromykh began her free skate routine with two quad attempts – stepping out on the landing of the first loop but then successfully completing the following quad toe loop-triple toe loop combination. Skating to a mixture of Buenos Aires Hora Cero by Astor Piazzolla and El Tango de Roxanne from Moulin Rouge!, Khromykh later landed a triple loop, a double axel, a triple Lutz-triple toe loop combination, a triple flip-Euler-triple Salchow combination, and a triple Lutz. She received a score of 152.09 points for her performance and earned a total competition score of 224.91 points.
Leader after the short program, Shcherbakova fell on her opening quad flip attempt but avoided any major mistakes in the remainder of her free skate presentation. The 17-year-old landed a triple flip-triple toe loop combination, two double axels, a triple Lutz-triple loop combination, a triple Lutz-Euler-triple Salchow combination, and a triple flip. Shcherbakova received the second best score of 147.97 points and earned a total competition score of 222.73 points.
After a difficult previous season, Samodurova began her 2021-2022 Olympic season by celebrating her first medal – bronze. The 19-year-old Russian completed a triple Lutz and a double axel-Euler-triple Salchow combination to start her free skate performance, and later landed a triple flip, a triple loop, a double axel-triple toe loop combination, and a triple flip-double toe loop combination. She fell on her final triple Salchow. Samodurova received a free skate score of 123.76 points and earned a total competition score of 190.91 points.
- Maia KHROMYKH (RUS) – 224.91
- Anna SHCHERBAKOVA (RUS) – 222.73
- Sofia SAMODUROVA (RUS) – 190.91
- Ekaterina RYABOVA (AZE) – 184.93
- Alina URUSHADZE (GEO) – 179.14
- Regina SCHERMANN (HUN) – 155.97
- Yasmine Kimiko YAMADA (SUI) – 155.32
- Kristen SPOURS (GBR) – 152.36
- Bernadett SZIGETI (HUN) – 143.42
- Anita ÖSTLUND (SWE) – 142.37
- Dasa GRM (SLO) – 139.18
- Elena KOMOVA (GBR) – 139.05
- Júlia LÁNG (HUN) – 137.81
- Alexandra Michaela FILCOVÁ (SVK) – 131.35
- Anastasiia GOZHVA (UKR) – 124.45
- Elzbieta GABRYSZAK (POL) – 122.93
- Nina POVEY (GBR) – 119.65
- Olusa GAJDOSOVA (CZE) – 113.20
- Hana CVIJANOVIC (CRO) – 110.71
- Romana KAISER (LIE) – 91.91
PAIRS; Final Results:
- Karina AKOPOVA / Nikita RAKHMANIN (RUS) – 201.12
- Anastasia METELKINA / Daniil PARKMAN (GEO) – 188.03
- Ioulia CHTCHETININA / Márk MAGYAR (HUN) – 157.12
- Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI (ITA) – 154.09
- Sofiia HOLICHENKO / Artem DARENSKYI (UKR) – 147.64
- Lana PETRANOVIC / Antonio SOUZA KORDEIRU (CRO) – 142.12
- Mariia PAVLOVA / Balázs NAGY (HUN) – 139.38