At the first stage of the International Skating Union (ISU) Grand Prix series in Las Vegas – the 2021 Skate America, former World bronze medalist Vincent Zhou claimed the gold medal over Olympic silver medalist Shoma Uno and three-time World champion Nathan Chen.
Zhou began his free skate performance with a quad Lutz and then a quad flip, a quad Salchow, and a quad toe loop. In the second half of the routine, the 20-year-old American representative landed a quad Salchow-triple toe loop combination, a triple axel-Euler-triple Salchow combination, and a triple axel-double toe loop combination. Zhou received a score of 198.13 points for his presentation – just 0.37 points shy of his personal best score – and earned a total competition score of 295.56 points.
Four-time Japanese national champion Uno landed his opening quad loop and next attempted a quad Salchow; however, it was downgraded by the judges. Skating to Bolero, the 23-year-old figure skater later landed a quad toe loop-double toe loop combination, a triple axel, a quad flip, a quad toe loop-double toe loop combination, and a triple axel-Euler-triple flip combination. Uno received the third best score of 181.61 points for the free skate, and earned a total competition score of 270.68 points to win silver.
Fourth after the short program, a four-time winner of Skate America, Chen began his free skate performance with a quad loop but then doubled a Lutz. After the next quad flip-triple toe loop combination, he then doubled a Salchow. Skating to music by Wolfgang Mozart, the 22-year-old American completed a triple axel, a quad toe loop-Euler-double flip combination, and a quad toe loop-triple toe loop combination to end his routine. Chen received the second-best free skate score of 186.48 points and earned a total competition score of 269.37 points to win bronze.
- Vincent ZHOU (USA) – 295.56
- Shoma UNO (JPN) – 270.68
- Nathan CHEN (USA) – 269.37
- Shun SATO (JPN) – 247.05
- Jimmy MA (USA) – 228.12
- Michal BREZINA (CZE) – 227.47
- Daniel GRASSL (ITA) – 221.43
- Nam NGUYEN (CAN) – 219.60
- Adam SIAO HIM FA (FRA) – 217.52
- Artur DANIELIAN (RUS) – 214.93
WD – Kevin AYMOZ (FRA) – 11th after short program (58.14)
Pairs; Final Results
- Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) – 222.50
- Riku MIURA / Ryuichi KIHARA (JPN) – 208.20
- Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII (RUS) – 205.53
- Alexa KNIERIM / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) – 202.97
- Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSON (USA) – 197.42
- Alina PEPELEVA / Roman PLESHKOV (RUS) – 183.12
- Chelsea LIU / Danny O’SHEA (USA) – 175.40
- Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD (CAN) – 147.61